gratefulelectric
Junior Boarder
mama tried

Re: STRING CHEESE OPENING FOR FURTHUR

#10456 3 years ago
only a dream fellas

string chesse and rat dog best tour i ever did

string cheese and furthur dream tour

been to alot of cheese, hornings,hullaween carnivals, that band is by far my fav band besides furthur- the dead- pandf-ratdog etc. if you never had a chance to get to an incident check one out there are amazing far and few in between now but back in the day they toured very heavy north, south, east, and west
OsoRojo
Junior Boarder

#10464 3 years ago
my Dream Festival is Furthur, SCI & WSP for 3 days.
each band getting 2 full sets each day and each band gets to close out one night
toss in some late-night tent shows to keep the party going till dawn, then afternnoon shows strarting at 2pm > 2am

as for SCI and touring... those guys just went in different musical and personal directions and felt is wasn't right to just keep touring for the sake of making money, they were not happy overall. Kang & Travis really got into electronica after trips to Burning Man. Nershi and Moseley are more into bluegrass, newgrass, country and R&R. Kyle likes his stuff kinda funky. so these days they get together for a few times a year and deliver the goods...3 nights of Winter Carnival were WAY HIGH and I've been catching them since 96.

also, Moseley, Kyle and Kang all have young children and are really into hanging out with family and devoting a lot of time to that. they lived together in Bussy [a renovated Crested Butte Ski Resort bus that was more pirate ship than bus] from 96>99, that WAS home for the band, merch gal Kristin [Keith's gf now wife] and soundruler John Oleary. then they got bigger and just crushed it with hard touring and xlnt shows from 2000>2003....sometime round there the musical and personal differences began to emerge and in Oct 2006 Nershi stepped forward and said he "wanted a break from the SCI scene" so they wrapped it all up with 4 sold out nights at Red Rocks in 2007. 2010 saw the emergence of these occasional get-togethers and it seems to be working pretty well, but there are many that want a return to full-time touring.

I highly rec checking out the Rhythm of the Road Vol 1 release from 11/17/00 from The Tabernacle in Atlanta. it's HOT!

as for the CheeseDog tour, they alternated who closed each night and they did some great jams together. a memorable Know You Rider in San Diego stands out for me....

and don't forget the great Summer Sessions Tour in late summer 99 when Phil and Friends featured Kyle on keys every night and a rotating cast from SCI, Govt Mule and Galactic rounding out the core band of Phil/Molo/Kimock/Kyle each night. there are some great shows from this short run, one that I feel really helped Phil get back into touring mode with the energy of all the younger bands and fans around him.

Cheese Family Forever!
Last Edit: 3 years ago by OsoRojo.
OsoRojo
Junior Boarder

#10467 3 years ago

Attachment SCI Winter Carny 2011 Poster.jpg not found

FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#10469 3 years ago
deadahead wrote:
More music takes you Furthur, guys. There's no reason not to give music that is new to you a try. +1 to Bob Weir for recognizing their brotherhood with the greater Grateful Dead Family. Bob's as open minded about music as Phil these days. And to be honest, that is not at all surprising to me, as I've previously said in other threads. Too many people here seem to just like one flavor (but fortunately, not all, and God bless you all).

Cheers...

Yes, the music is always evolving & I'm always willing to give anyone a chance and go in with open ears ... maybe one day the stars will once align. They have to a certain extent with cheese, as far as I'm concerned. Just kinda got back on that bus a little late in the game. Had seen them maby 6-8 times prior to 2010 going back to the 90's ... but within the past year have seen them 6x (Red Rocks last summer + WC last month) & am grateful to have seen what I have seen recently! It's funny what perspective will do .... since a lot of SCI fans who haven't missed a beat are dissappointed they haven't done a full blown tour in recent years. ... yet I'm totally psyched to see what I can.

It's funny how when I look at things that way for furthur & their apparent infatuation with the east coast, I'm much more relaxed about it. If that's what it takes for them to still keep it together & not be over extended, then I'm all for it!

(I guess if I did hear from the source that it was PURELY about money, then I'd have more questions! ... until then, I give them the total benefit of the doubt)
johnnyhub
Junior Boarder

#10482 3 years ago
Some of Phil's best post-GD music played was when he did that Summer Sessions tour in Summer 1999 with SCI, Gov't Mule, Galactic & moe... SCI were Phil's "Friends" backing band, with Molo & Kimock..

UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE music played that summer
OsoRojo
Junior Boarder

#10485 3 years ago
johnnyhub wrote:
Some of Phil's best post-GD music played was when he did that Summer Sessions tour in Summer 1999 with SCI, Gov't Mule, Galactic & moe... SCI were Phil's "Friends" backing band, with Molo & Kimock..

UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE music played that summer

agree on the great music played by PLF on that tour!

but SCI was not the backing band for every show

each night 2 of the 4 supporting bands would play before PLF. the members of the other 2 bands would sit in with the core-4 PLF band [Lesh/Molo/Kimock/Kyle] so if SCI and .moe were opening a night then Warren and guys from Galactic would sit in. if Mule and Galactic would open then SCI and .moe guys would sit it. and it just got pretty wild seeing the rotations each night and who would come up and play. but SCI guys did not play with PLF every night, and Moseley never got on stage with Phil, nor did any of the other bass players.
SkiNose
Junior Boarder

#10486 3 years ago
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

because
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."
Last Edit: 3 years ago by SkiNose.
Yourboylex
Fresh Boarder

#10551 3 years ago
There gonna need a bigger place for that !
irishqueenie
Senior Boarder
let there be songs to fill the air!!!

#10553 3 years ago
wow you scared me on that one. nothing against sci but i don't want an opener! i want to hear the boys and anyone else will only take away from them.plus seeing i am only mail ordering for 2 shows i want all Furthur All DAY!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, EasyWind
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#10557 3 years ago
"and don't forget the great Summer Sessions Tour in late summer 99 when Phil and Friends featured Kyle on keys every night and a rotating cast from SCI, Govt Mule and Galactic rounding out the core band of Phil/Molo/Kimock/Kyle each night."

You left out Moe..These were fun shows, I went to Oregon and the The Greek Theatre..
For an opener, the only thing that would fit for me would be a solo acoustic act, or a duet who could play, then split, maybe come back between sets, sit in for a song or two..Danny Barnes, Robert Hunter w/Grisman or solo, Larry n Theresa, any of these would work.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
gratefulelectric
Junior Boarder
mama tried

#10558 3 years ago
string cheese is far from a wanna be jam band

they are the model jam band steming from the grateful dead
The following user(s) said Thank You: FaceOnMars
Time to create page: 2.50 seconds